9 September 2015 marks 270 years of manufacturing for the German based hoist and crane manufacturer J D Neuhaus, and after seven generations, the company is still managed by a descendant of the original owner. Load handling equipment supplied by J D Neuhaus is now utilised throughout the world, from small engineering workshops up to large organisations and including some of the heaviest and most demanding handling operations, even under extreme operating conditions. Their world market leader status is backed-up with a service and supply organisation established in more than 90 countries together with over 70 branches.
Lifting equipment has been the backbone of the manufacturing dynasty, with their first wooden shaft winch being produced in 1745. Winches were also initially produced for waterway locks, controlling a growing traffic of horse-drawn barges on the Ruhr river. Business developed to include lifting and handling of railway carriages, the general loading of goods and a widespread use of JDN products in the coal mines of the German Ruhr. Over time their winches became progressively more powerful so that by the 1880’s they had the capability of moving individual loads of up to 7,500kg.