Employers of thousands of marine crew are being urged to be prepared following changes to the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) - or face potentially being unable to set sail.
The changes affect UK seafarers who hold basic STCW certification, or have six months or more sea service prior to 1 August 1998 and are deemed to be qualified in any of the following:
• Proficiency in Advanced Fire Fighting
• Proficiency in Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
• Personal Survival Techniques
• Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats
• Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats
George Masson, Marine Team Leader at Petrofac Training Services’ (PTS) quayside facility in Aberdeen, explained: “The changes are being introduced to ensure seafarers maintain the necessary standards of competence to undertake practical emergency, occupational safety and survival functions such as launching life rafts or dealing with fires.”